This Paleo breakfast sardines on mushrooms offers a good balance of carbs, fats and all important protein. A gluten free, grain free and high protein breakfast makes a great start to the day.
The benefit of a meal like this, is that helps your blood sugar get you through the morning; hopefully reducing the mid-morning sweet attack and the need for more coffee.
The recipe also offers a hefty dose of good essential fats from the fish and the oils. Plus as it is very tasty it seems to make it more satisfying.
This powerful little combo of huge mushrooms topped with sardines makes this paleo breakfast a really nutritionally sound option. But don’t limit yourself; it makes a great supper too especially with a huge salad.
Recipe for a Paleo breakfast sardines on mushroom toast
Prep time: Peeling the huge mushrooms – 2 minutes?
Cook time: Around 15 minutes
- 4 Large Flat Mushrooms, rinsed and peeled
- 1 x 135 g Can* of Sardines in Sunflower or Olive Oil, mashed
*I always use the sustainably fished ‘Fish 4 Ever’ brand.
- Turn the grill to high.
- Have a flat baking dish; the heavier Pyrex ones seem better.
- Open the sardines and pour half the oil onto the dish.
- Place the peeled mushrooms in the oil, black side up.
- Pour the rest of the oil from the tin into the top of the mushrooms and grill on high for 5 minutes.
- Then turn over and grill for a further 5 minutes.
- Now turn them over again, (dizzy mushrooms?) black side up and fill with the mashed sardines.
- Grill for a further 5 minutes and serve with fresh toms and some greenery.